My Name is Leo

An adored cat deals gracefully with a jaw tumor while his owner quietly falls apart.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia area, Northeast, United States

Friday, February 24, 2006

Random cat facts

How long it takes after washing a comforter for it to smell "good" enough for Leo to sleep on again: one week.

Taste of kittie's Clavamox antibiotic drops: Bubblegum (maybe you don't need to know how I discovered that.)

In addition to this first hand knowledge, I've been doing a psychotic amount of web searching in the past month and have learned more about felines than one married human has the right to know.

Not only about diseases and disorders, but things...well...somewhat less important. Like the myriad of ways one can describe a cat.

Leo is most definitely a "Maine Coon" type - although he is a pure-bred feral cat. (His mother showed up outside my grandparents house one day in 1993 and promptly gave birth under their shed.)

But what color is he? Should be obvious, but...

There are many many insanely (to me) specific names for cat colors, and my guess is that Leo's color might be "Cameo Tabby" which carries the following criteria according to the American Cat Fanciers Association: "The ground color should be pale ivory. Markings are red, diminishing in intensity of color approaching the roots of the hairs. Clarity of markings takes precedence over depth of tipping. Nose leather and paw pads rose. Eyes shades of green, gold or copper. White lip/chin trim allowed."

However, maybe Leo is a McTabby. I say "maybe" because after 30 minutes of web searching, I still don't know the difference between a plain ole Tabby and a McTabby (the McTabby comes with a side of fries?)



I did find a lovely website that actually had photos of cat colors, although it did not clarify the McTabby issue.

I also learned that Leo's dearly departed brother Zeke was not a mere gray and white cat, he was a "bicolour" cat - with the "mask and mantle" pattern...and the term covering all bicolour cats is "piebald" or "white spotted."


Leo and Zeke circa 1996.

But wait -- he wasn't white spotted with grey...because in the cat world, no cat is grey, they are "blue." And some of his grey, er blue, patches had a beige background -- but is beige "buff?" or "dilute red?" Or was his grey not blue, but "dilute black?" But then I find photos that look like Zeke described as "brown mctabby and white..."

And then my head explodes.

Perhaps it's time to subscribe to Cat Fancy?

3 Comments:

Blogger kris said...

I am not sure, but I think that McTabby may be shorthand for Mackerel Tabby.

6/14/2008 12:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My cat is clearly grey but the vet labels her brown mctabby . I was searching to find out what that means.

1/27/2016 6:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My cat is clearly grey but the vet labels her brown mctabby . I was searching to find out what that means.

1/27/2016 6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home