My Name is Leo

An adored cat deals gracefully with a jaw tumor while his owner quietly falls apart.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia area, Northeast, United States

Monday, March 13, 2006

Day 49

I never thought I'd say this -- but my cat smells like a dog.

Leo's breath has gotten pretty nasty the past few days, and the smell tends to linger on his fur after he cleans himself. Very doggiesque.

But...he is cleaning himself, has been eating well and doesn't have any painful facial puffiness going on, so even though the bad breath may be a sign of some sort of oral infection, I've held off on putting him back on antibiotics.

Trying to save the Clavamox until absolutely necessary, especially since it seems to upset his stomach.

Sunday morning mellow cat

At one point last week, Leo weighed 10.5 pounds using my unscientific bathroom scale method (his pre-illness weight was 11 pounds.) He feels a little less rotund the past few days, so I would suspect he's back to 10 pounds or less at this point.

The Fancy Feast has lost some of its allure, in that recently he hasn't been scarfing the whole can up immediately, but he does end up eating all of it eventually and that's all I'm interested in.

I did make the mistake of buying cans of Fancy Feast's "sliced" variety, not knowing it is cubed, not sliced. He didn't finish it either time I gave it to him -- I think the chunks are harder for him to get down.

So, we're back to the fish feast varieties, which are ground. Yesterday, he had a total of 2 1/2 of the little cans over the course of 24 hours.

Fingers crossed for another good week...

5 Comments:

Blogger Merujo said...

That's one tough kitty you've got there!

I considered using the Bud Light "veepers" technology to send an animated, talking Leo head e-mail to you, asking for more tuna, please. But then I remember that, when I do that to photos of friends' heads, they think I'm pretty weird...

3/14/2006 8:15 PM  
Blogger Cyn said...

Weird is accepted here. In fact, it is encouraged.

3/14/2006 8:41 PM  
Blogger Merujo said...

A message for you (obviously filtered through the Alta Vista "cat to human" translator): http://veepers.budlight.com/service/RetrieveCard?id=WmRW2wM02HgNTpd1DPZ02a

3/15/2006 4:25 PM  
Blogger Cyn said...

OMG...I laughed till I cried.

I must say I've never given a thought to what Leo would sound like if he were human, but that voice fits...(although it does creep me out a bit if I imagine him talking like that when lying on my chest with his face two inches from mine like he likes to do.)

But, yeah, that's probably what he would say if he could talk. That and, "More scratching, please!"

The kids love it too -- will be played over and over, I'm sure.

Thanks!

3/16/2006 8:35 PM  
Blogger Merujo said...

You're welcome - here's something that a friend sent me just this evening, staying on the "talking cat" topic. This made me laugh so hard, I started to wheeze. I've played the last cat in this short clip over and over again. It's hilarious: http://www.wimp.com/talkingcats/

3/17/2006 12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home