My Name is Leo

An adored cat deals gracefully with a jaw tumor while his owner quietly falls apart.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia area, Northeast, United States

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Chin Lesion Photos

Semi-graphic photos to follow, so consider yourself warned.

The skinned area that first appearated on Leo's chin a few days ago now doesn't appear to be from scratching.

This morning, I found a bit of debris on his neck fur -- upon closer inspection it appeared to be a very thin layer of skin with hair attached, which may have fallen off from his chin, leaving this raw area.



Whatever is going on, it doesn't seem to be bothering him one bit.




He ate three cans of food yesterday (usually only has two) and also devoured his food like a demon this morning. Seems to have gained a good amount of weight -- he's at or close to his pre-tumor weight. And he's been acting like his old self too.

Sooo...I don't know. Does this mean his tumor is really Squamous Cell Carcinoma (not an osteosarcoma as the vet seemed to think?)

Or does he not have cancer at all and instead has "eosinophilic granuloma complex" which is basically an allergic reaction that can cause oral growths and also hairless scabby skin lesions (although these are two different forms of the complex and I don't think usually appear together.) The vet never mentioned this possibility, I just found it through my web searches.

I'm just going to take a wait-and-see for a couple days. He's not in any pain -- in fact he's happy to have me rub the tumor area and all around the raw spot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home