My Name is Leo

An adored cat deals gracefully with a jaw tumor while his owner quietly falls apart.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia area, Northeast, United States

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Day 80

Another slight downturn...yesterday Leo only ate about 3/4 of his food; so far today only half his food -- starting to feel skinny again.

The Clindamycin compounded treats no longer appeal to Leo as they have hardened into gelatinous squares and don't have much odor. So I've had to cut them into little tiny 1/8-inch chunks and mix into his food -- even so, I see him jawing hard to get them down.

Since my last post I've twice spotted a small amount of dark (as in bloody) drool dried into his fur.

The thing that's worrying me most is that he just doesn't seem himself today. He's purring when I pet him, but he just looks tired, worn.

Going back to the Hills a/d food tonight -- maybe the extra calories will perk him up. It's also a thinner consistency, which goes down easier.

Oh, just remembered I did feed him a pea-sized bit of Nutri-cal this afternoon...which previously seemed to upset him stomach when given in a large amount (even though he loves the taste of it. So maybe that's making him a bit off.

In the meantime, I came across this photo while doing computer housecleaning.




It is just soooooo Leo - before his illness he was always a mellow ball of fluff spread out all over the place. Brother Zeke played the sentinel, with a more cautious approach. Photo was taken a little less than 3 years ago, when the boys were a youthful 10 years old. Seems like much longer ago, at this point.

1 Comments:

Blogger Merujo said...

Another great photo. :-) I'm sorry things are not quite so great right now. It's an ebb and flow that's likely more challenging for you than for your charge.

I hope Easter weekend is good and filled with happy moments.

Cheers,

MJ

4/14/2006 11:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home