My Name is Leo

An adored cat deals gracefully with a jaw tumor while his owner quietly falls apart.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia area, Northeast, United States

Friday, March 24, 2006

Two Month Mark

Yesterday marked two months since the tumor was found on Leo's jaw. On that day back on January, I didn't think Leo would make it this far.

Yesterday was a good day.

Leo finished his latest round of Clavamox on Tuesday. He had lost a visible amount of weight during that round -- many days only eating half his normal amount of food.

A little thin, but still a sweet ball of fluff


Halfway through the antibiotic course, I went back to pilling him the normal way (as opposed to putting it in a treat.) He seemed to have a setback and I suspect maybe all the Clavamox wasn't being properly absorbed when placed in the middle of the clay-like treat.

After two solid months of medication, he's gotten to be such a good cat about being pilled. He doesn't even squirm anymore, just sits still as I open his mouth and toss the pill to the back of his throat.

Now that he's off the antibiotic, his appetite has returned.

Unfortunately, his bad breath also returned yesterday. And the tumor has grown -- at least it has spawned small bumps on top of the large mass. He also has a thick drool that periodically hangs down in a string from the side of his mouth (the only thing about this whole ordeal that really grosses me out!)

But, like I said at the top, yesterday was a good day. Leo's happy. He's eating. He's playing. He's grooming himself.



And watching bunnies.

2 Comments:

Blogger Merujo said...

I love watching cats watching other critters. :-) I also used to laugh myself sick when my sister used a flashlight to make her cat chase light endlessly around the living room. Cats: good companions, great entertainment!

3/24/2006 5:55 PM  
Blogger Cyn said...

We have a laser pointer that my cats chased like maniacs initially, but they got wise pretty fast that the dot wasn't real...and seemed to then be pissed that we were toying with them.

As kids, we teased our poor kitty, "Puff," for our own amusement -- foremost was putting tape on his back and then watching him go berserk trying to get it off. And then we wondered why he didn't really like anyone other than my mom.

So I suppose my over-love and supreme kindness to my adult pets is at least in part rooted in some need to atone for my childhood sins.

Not to say that I still don't get a kick out of watching Leo get whacky-crazy rubbing a catnip pillow all over his face.

3/27/2006 11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home