My Name is Leo

An adored cat deals gracefully with a jaw tumor while his owner quietly falls apart.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia area, Northeast, United States

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Mystery solved, well, sort of

Well, I figured out what was causing the rawness on Leo's chin -- and it is more obvious than ominous.

He is doing it himself. Last night, after seeing bright red spots on his chin again, I asked my husband if he had seen Leo scratching his chin in the past few days. "No," says husband. "Neither have I," say I.

And, if only to prove us wrong, Leo proceeded to sit down in front of us and attack his chin with his back paw. Meowing at the same time, although it sounded more like "Ay,yi,yi,yi,yi,yi" than a proper meow.

No wonder the abrasions seemed somewhat linear -- they are claw marks!

I picked him up and he had scratched off all the scabbed spots and the entire nickel-sized area was raw again.

But why would the tumor start bothering/itching him now after three months? He's never seemed to even notice it was there before. If anything,his chin is looking better in the past couple days than it has in a long while, because there is no infection puffiness.

So now I just have to figure out what the scratching means, and how I can stop it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Merujo said...

Did this activity start around the time of the spider in the mouth? I wonder if there is any correlation? Maybe an inside the mouth sting that's irritated or healing?

5/04/2006 9:03 PM  
Blogger Cyn said...

I was wondering about the spider connection too...that was my original thought...but I can't say it's the first time he's indulged in arachnids (although usually prefers cricket legs.)

His chin looks like he hasn't scratched it since yesterday (at least as I write this at 12:30PM) -- so maybe whatever was causing the self-mutilation is resolving itself.

We shall see, and of course I will post in minute detail.

5/05/2006 12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home